Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Arkham Sanitarium Update

I have good news and bad news.

First, the good news. The postcards, file folders, and notebooks are all done. They're currently working there way across the country and should arrive at my home by Friday, the original target date.

Now, the bad news. The custom die cutting needed for the shape of the Arkham Sanitarium patches and pins is slowing down the order. I'll hopefully have the production samples today or tomorrow, but that means production is likely to take at least another week. That would push the ship date for the completed prop packages to next weekend.

I apologize for the delay, but manufacturing is the one part of the process that I don't have any control over.

Update: The first production sample for the patches is in.



Once again, it's a good news/bad news situation. The die cut for the custom shape, which had the potential to be a real problem, is perfect. Unfortunately, there are two minor problems that will require another pass before the production run can start- the color mismatch between the "Arkham Sanitarium" lettering and the inner shield fill has to be corrected, and the slight drop shadow on the key and torch are missing. The latter problem is a little odd considering the drop shadow on the snake came out perfectly.

One thing I'm not worried about, but you might be, is the slightly rough look of the sample. They always look like that. When I ordered the very first Miskatonic patch I almost cried when I saw the production test, but the whole point of the sample is to fine tune the programming that will be driving the embroidery machine.

6 comments:

Umpherous said...

If that's as bad as the bad news gets, then I'm not worried. Looks fantastic. I can't wait for the final product. You've outdone yourself this time!

James Floyd Kelly (Jim) said...

This fan is more than happy to wait - and I totally understand the shipping issues are out of your hands... no worries.

On a similar note, I had some patches done last year for a special project... the sample they sent me looked horrible but the final patches were outstanding. I think they have a prototyping machine for the samples that does a quick and dirty job...

Anonymous said...

The bad news is that I couldn't pledge because Dutch people don't have credit cards and now I can't get in on this!

Unknown said...

If you need a path cut in photoshop for this please let me know. I can make a dieline that the embroiderer can follow easily.

Raven said...

The shading on the serpent does wonders for its three-dimensionality.

And of course the patch looks so much more *real* now... conveying the same impression about the Sanitarium itself....

The city of Arkham gains another bit of *solidity*.

Doc Atomic said...

Looks great! I'm happy to wait if this is what I'm waiting for. Great job, as usual!