Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Under the Sea

Rev. Marx offers up the final installment of his deep sea diving suit build. It includes a step by step construction log for all of his accessories.

So, containment canister on the right and voice box on the left, that still left me needing something in the back of the utility belt. I thought about the storm trooper costumed from Star Wars, and how they had some kind of canister on the back of their belt (I think that's where Luke got the cable he used to swing across the room with Leia in Episode IV). A canister should be fairly easy and quick to make, and didn't need to have any particular function other than to take up space and look utilitarian. So I took a cardboard mailing tube, capped the ends, added a cardboard panel with rivets for texture, painted it brass, and added a couple of pieces of scrap leather belt as trim for more texture. I attached it to the belt with some metal wire through the grommets. Simple and quick.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a thought, as it would probably require a lot of digging and hunting to find enough... Maybe old-fashioned inflatable pillows and mattresses, the fabric-covered kind, could work for some parts, helping with the general feel?

CoastConFan said...

I have followed Rev Marx's build for a while now and I am so please that he has been thoughtful enough to show the construction step-by-step. We owe a debt of gratitude to these prop makers who take the time out to share their labor of love to us. Besides, I didn't know that touch lights could be so cool.