Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"The Shadow Out of Time" Expedition Pin

Here's a high resolution scan of the Miskatonic Australian expedition lapel pin. The harsh lighting of the scanner reduces the contrast between the raised and textured portions of the die strike, but it gives you a good idea of the level of detail on the 1" wide medallion.



The craftier readers will be happy to know that the backing mount can be removed with a file or dremel tool in about 30 seconds. That means creating custom items is a simple matter of using a drop of epoxy to attach the flat portion of the pin to any suitable surface. I've been cruising Ebay for a vintage brass Zippo lighter (first produced in 1933) with exactly that idea in mind.

4 comments:

Christopher B said...

That is a thing of beauty. :D

Rev. Marx said...

Those look awesome! I'd be interested to know where you had them done. I've been wanting to get some kind of pin made for my gaming club.

Doc Atomic said...

Looks great. And the Zippo idea is wonderful. I was also thinking an old pocket watch (or the watch fob) might present opportunities. Of course, this means I'll have to buy two pins, now...

I'm looking forward to the release!

Propnomicon said...

@ Christopher B

Thank you for the kind words. And thanks for letting me steal your comment response format. It seems obvious now, but before reading your blog I'd never seen it used before.

@ Rev. Marx

I have them done by Stadri Emblems- http://www.stadriemblems.com/.

They're a little pricier than some other vendors, but they'll do small runs and all the production is done in the US.

@ Brian

A watch would look great. I'm also thinking about using one on a vintage compass.