Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More On Tom Sullivan

Yesterday's post touching on Tom Sullivan's depiction of the Necronomicon in the "Evil Dead" movies, and his subsequent influence on the pop culture conceptions of the dread tome, prompted a kind emailer to point out that Mr. Sullivan has a page on MySpace . Much to my surprise, it seems I was exposed to his work far, far earlier than I had ever assumed. For years I've had clear memories of seeing special effects photos from a Mythos-based film that appeared in Starlog magazine way back in June of 1977.



It turns out that Mr. Sullivan sculpted the Cthulhoid critters that helped illustrate a story on "The Cry of Cthulhu", a failed independent film based on Lovecraft's writings. My Google-fu is weak and I can't dig up any scans of the article in question online, but I can still picture it in my mind. Then again, I spent a week reading and re-reading that magazine during a family camping trip when it rained every single day.

No comments: