Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kenya, Where the Black Wind Blows

Just east of Lake Taganyika in Kenya, natives fall to their knees. Do they fear the Black Wind, or hail it?



Another photograph for the "Masks of Nyarlathotep" project. This picture didn't need much repurposing, since it actually was taken where it says it was. It's from a 1916 British naval expedition transporting troops, equipment, and two entire patrol boats from the coast to Lake Tanganyika. Once there they successfully engaged the German naval force stationed on the lake. The story of the grueling transit of the Kenyan territorial interior, which just screams to be turned into a motion picture, was published by National Geographic in 1922. The caption says the natives are reacting to their first look at an airplane.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oakree take a look at Shorpy

>>> http://www.shorpy.com/node/1898?size=_original


>>> http://www.shorpy.com/node/8764

May interest you

Alban

Gabriel said...

I have no idea why but this picture creeps me out big time.

Nyarlathotep is one of my favourite Mythos Gods (Haunter in the Dark is my favourite story), but I fear that if I was an explorer and was confronted with this scene, it would be the beginning of the end for my sanity.

Where you do find these eerie yet marvellous pictures?