Thursday, April 14, 2022

One of Us

I intentionally keep Propnomicon a politics-free zone, but I'm making an exception today.  Over the years it's been my pleasure to frequently feature the work of Ukrainian artist Alisa Tochylovska.  Her creations have ranged from alien fetuses to demonic fae, but they've all shared an inspiring attention to physical detail and imaginative myth-making.

Sadly, she's now dedicated herself to a much different cause- the defense of Odessa from invading Russian troops.  I hope you'll keep her in your thoughts, and offer what support you can. 

Hopefully this madness will soon come to an end.  When it does, I look forward to seeing her work for many years to come.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

So sad. There are so many talented artists I've interacted with in Ukraine over the years. One man in particular made casting replicas of neolithic artifacts. But his ebay shop is closed and I wonder if I'll ever hear from him again.

Raven said...

Слава Україні! Героям слава!

[Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!]

Todd said...

It's heartbreaking and infuriating to see what is happening in Ukraine. I never expected to see such unprovoked warmongering by a major world power in my lifetime, naively thinking that this sort of thing was all behind us. I hope that Putin will pay dearly for this crime. All of the death and misery can be traced directly to him.

Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!

De Profundis said...

I follow her on Instagram and, when the invasion began, she posted that she was woken by the sound of explosions. I pray this madness is swiftly ended.

Slava Ukraini!