Sunday, January 22, 2017

Elven Trail Ration Prop

Wats6831 is back with another collection of edible props for tabletop fantasy gaming.  This time he tackles an elven trail ration:

Top left to right: Evereskan Honey Comb, Elven Travel Bread (Amaretto Liquer Cake with custom swirls), Lurien Spring Cheese (goat cheese with garlic, salt, spices and shallots), Delimbyr Vale Smoked Silverfin (Salmon), Honey Spiced Lichen (Kale Chips), and Silverwood Pine Nuts

The elven travel cake was absolutely amazing (double the strength of iron rations in half the weight!). The cheese as well. Pungent, rich and just the perfect amount of salt. The lichens were sweet and spicy. We each took a bite out of the honey comb, it was WILD. The honey is dark, rich, and much stronger than "normal" honey. The honey dissolves in your mouth, then you have an enjoyable chew on a small ball of bee's wax.



I really like these projects. In and of themselves they're great tools for getting players more immersed in the game. Beyond that, they're interesting thought experiments. You'll find the Reddit discussion about the elven rations here, and Wats6831's earlier human rations and dwarven trail food after the links.

3 comments:

CoastConFan said...

Along with all these LoTR inspired trail snacks, how about some Orc rations, anyone? Anyone? I guess it would be paleodiet, high in protein and not necessarily cooked. I think I’ll pass on the Uruk-hai Surprise (makes its own sauce).

Swift’s, A Modest Proposal (1729) for inspiration perhaps http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html

I have another book, “To Serve Man”, just translated from the original alien text and I’ll let you know all about it right after this free intergalactic trip I just won.

CrawlingChaos said...

@CoastConFan The OP says Orc rations are next week. Personally I'm hoping for a halfling version after that--although what a hobbit thinks of as trail rations would likely be called a well-stocked picnic basket by any other race!

Clint said...

I am working on Orc Rations right now. I have fire roasted, pungent peppers that have been dried;Hard tack(though that is just something I make anyway; and Jerked meat. I just need to get the bread right. (I am wanting something like russian rye, but darker with more vegetables in it); top that off with some dried veggies and there you have it.

Odd thing is, after reading what went into ORcish trail rations, if you toss them all in a pot and cook them up, you have chili.

If you want the drink, get cheap ass brandy and add gunpowder.