Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tools of the Trade

John Genova brings us this vampire hunting kit he put together as a gift.

His chosen components go together well, but I would suggest it could be improved by an overall weathering treatment. Please don't take that as a criticism of Mr. Genova. One of my own failings as a propmaker is that I don't weather things nearly enough when I'm going for an old and worn appearance. After investing a huge amount of effort into a project there's a natural reluctance to do anything that could screw it up, and the weathering process, with it's paints, powders, and intentional abuse, offers plenty of opportunities for things to go awry.

9 comments:

James Floyd Kelly (Jim) said...

I agree - an amazing kit he's put together and all it needs is some "hard usage" to give it a fully authentic look.

CoastConFan said...

That's a nice vampire box. It has all the tools of the trade too. The photography is pretty good and clearly shows the contents.

I wonder if the airport will allow that as carry on luggage.

Surreality said...

Nevertheless, it looks amazing.

[I would add a mirror, though. Just to make sure I won't drive a stake through the heart of the wrong person!]

Phil said...

Kinda depends on the age of the relic too. If its a film or costume prop it would look a lot newer.

I'd love to take a crack at aging these items. Chip and gouge the box with a file, sandpaper and a Dremel. Maybe give it a darker stain. Then hit the bottle and metal pieces with spray matte clearcoat to knock down any shine.

It just takes a little practice is all.

LoneIslander said...

That's pretty cool

orion24 said...

Although I agree about the weathering look, You also have to ask if you are role playing and you are using this prop from the same time period you are role playing in why would you want something that looks a few hundred years old, IMO This is what a new Vampire hunting kit would look like.

Phil said...

I'd love to find out where he got the box though. I'd like to use something similar for a 'Paranormal investigator' kit at next years Steamcon.

Anonymous said...

What I'm wondering is what was hand crafted and what had to be bought, pretty much my first question when I see any vampire hunting kit.

DevilDan said...

Wow! That is one of the coolest things ever. What a beautiful case. Bravo!