Friday, November 16, 2012

That Time of Year

Starting on Monday I'm going to be posting a series of gift suggestions for the holidays. 

Yeah, I know it's the time of year when everybody starts doing that, but my take is going to be a bit different.  For one, it will focus on gifts I think regular readers will enjoy.  That means an emphasis on items connected to the Mythos, horror in general, and propmaking.  I can absolutely guarantee that it will not include the deluge of Cute-thulhu merchandise that infests similar lists. Well, there's one item that skates dangerously close to being cute, but I think it provides enough entertainment to get a pass.

You're also not going to be seeing any referral padding.  Far too many gift giving lists are more about generating referral fees for the writer than actually helping the reader find something interesting.  That leads to things like laptops and smartphones popping up as suggested purchases from sites that have nothing to do with personal electronics or technology*.  I'm going to be taking the opposite approach and try to keep things under $50, and I'm aiming for an average of around $20. 

I think you'll find everything at least interesting, if not outright irresistible.




*One of the scrapbooking blogs my Significant Other reads daily did this last year.  The cheapest item on their list (a set of artisanal embellishments) cost $65, while the most expensive was a $2400 gaming laptop.  On a blog about...scrapbooking.  You have to admire the sheer shamelessness of it.  

9 comments:

Chris Pittman said...

This is a great idea. Thank you.

Colin Wily said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Unknown said...

As a daily visitor to your blog, I relish this.
Great idea :)

Jason McKittrick said...

Can't wait to see your suggestions!

Laura Morrigan said...

I love xmas lists! I made one myself recently. I love seeing what others like/ suggest. I made mine entirely from Etsy, to support small business, I don't believe in profiting from it, either.

Alex Kaeda said...

That sound.... thats the sound of my wallet moaning in sheer terror you while I giggle hysterically as I shout and kill and revel and enjoy myself in a manner that suggests that I believe that all the earth should flame with a holocaust of ecstasy and freedom.

Paul O'G said...

Looking forward to it!

Barry John said...

There are two things I need before heading off to work. A coffee and a quick peek at Propnomicon:-)

Old Fashion Halloween said...

Can't wait to see the goody list.