Friday, July 9, 2010

Miskatonic Australian Expedition Photos

The new run of Miskatonic Australian expedition gear based on Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out of Time" goes on sale tomorrow, but I have a pair of retouched photos for you today. Just click through for the high resolution versions and then run off copies using a photo printer or commercial photo kiosk.

Prof. Ashley of Miskatonic with one of the first stones uncovered by the expedition.

The S.S. Lexington being towed into Port Hedland by a harbor tug. From here the expedition would travel overland to the De Grey river, where a chartered steamer with a shallow draw would take them to the edge of the interior desert.

Update: RXGrafix did an awesome take on the Prof. Ashley photo. I shied away from aging it too much because I wanted to keep it generic, but they just nailed it.


Lazarus Lupin said...

that's just wonderful. Did you tweak the contrast any to make it look as grainy?

Lazarus Lupin
art and review

Propnomicon said...

@ Lazarus Lupin

The only things I adjusted contrast on were the retouches. I'm getting better, but I'm still nowhere near the level of a truly skilled retoucher. The one bit of advice I'd give anyone retouching vintage photos is to never work on the original scan- always blow it up at least 200%. All kinds of artifacts vanish when you shrink it down again.

Anonymous said...

i tried to improve some of your image.
you are free to use it.
; )

Propnomicon said...


That is an awesome job. I shied away from weathering it too much because I wanted something generic, but your version is simply outstanding.