Monday, October 16, 2023

Roughing It in the Classic Era

The YouTube algorithm knows me all too well.  It dropped this video from about camping and hunting in the 1920s into my feed and I ended up spending a large part of Sunday browsing the "20th Century Adventures" channel.  They're an enthusiastic period reenactor, with a goldmine of information for anyone looking to learn about the classic era of the Mythos.

This particular video has some interesting revelations.  I was surprised to discover how common car camping was in the period, as well as the ubiquity of thermoses for keeping drinks hot and cold.  I knew a lot of outdoors equipment was re-purposed military surplus gear, but it wasn't just the leftover stocks from World War 1.  In some cases, the cheap clothing and equipment campers were buying up dated back to the Indian Wars.

No comments: