Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Brotherhood of the Rift

I've been a fan of ASMR videos for a few years.  If you're not familiar with the genre, and most people aren't, they're attempts at inducing a pleasant and at times euphoric mental state using a variety of visual and auditory triggers.  The Wikipedia entry is a good overview of the "phenomena", such as it is.

One of my favorite ASMR artists on YouTube is Ephemeral Rift.  Most ASMR videos recreate face to face interactions like spas, barbershops, or store specialty clerks.  He goes in a very different direction, bringing to life scenarios featuring monster hunters, insane vivisectionists, and post-apocalyptic candy salesmen.  I mention all this because his latest video features a few of my props.  If you browse his channel you'll see he's a big fan of the Mythos.  Arkham Sanitarium is a frequently visited location, and his Deep One Dave videos are, hands down, the funniest Mythos comedy I've seen in years.


I'll warn you ahead of time that his videos aren't for everyone.  He's absolutely fearless in his embrace of weirdness.  That's one of the reasons I love his work.



No comments: