Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quick And Dirty Cthulhu Idol

Wesley Scoggins over at Indymogul has a tutorial up for creating a quick-and-dirty Cursed Idol using floral foam and paper clay.



"For your own creature you could do anything you want, and you don't have to follow my design at all, but I'm a Lovecraft nerd so it's pretty obvious why I picked this design. Any kind of simple design will do, very simple work could even be beneficial for a build like this since the simpler it is the older it can look, so don't doubt your sculpting skills here. I have terrible sculpting abilities and I put this together in about half an hour, so trust me when I say I know all you guys and gals out there can do better."


I think Wesley shows exactly the right kind of attitude, even if he's not totally happy with his work. It's better to actually make something than to continually put off the attempt because you're afraid of failing. Of course you'll make mistakes. That's the whole point. Doing is always superior to dreaming because it allows you to make mistakes and learn from them, and the more mistakes you make the better.

One of the most important lessons I've ever learned is something I was taught by a truly talented artist- there's a whole lotta suck before you get to the good stuff. Embrace the suck, and learn from it, because it's the only way you're ever going to get better at anything in life.

Speaking of which, I should probably get back to trying to come up with a halfway decent Australian expedition logo....

No comments: