Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cthulhoid Critter

This little nasty is about 2" long.



I probably need to give it an ink wash to bring out more details, but I was going for a subtle, bleached out specimen look. I don't think subtle works at this scale.

I've also come to the sad realization that I need to get a new camera. Out of over a dozen shots this was the only one that was even close to being in focus.

Update: A kind emailer pointed out that this little critter bears an uncanny resemblance to a prop parasitic worm that appeared in the "Cthulhu Live: Delta Green" supplement. I think the worm in the book is a project I did back around 2000 and posted to the Cthulhu Live mailing list. If anyone has access to that book I'd appreciate it if you could drop me a line, since I've never actually seen it.

10 comments:

Tim Shrum said...

That is brilliant! Was there a tutorial on this? If you don't mind, how was it made?

Propnomicon said...

It's just Sculpey III. There isn't a tutorial per se, but it's a pretty easy project.

All the detail parts- the large teeth, small teeth, and round protrustions- were baked ahead of time. Then I rolled out the textured cone of the body and baked that. After that it's just a simple matter of plopping a sphere of sculpey on the end of the cone, texturing it with a toothpick, and inserting your pre-baked detail bits as required.

Unknown said...

Awesome.
Will them be popping up on eBay (or just in my dreams)?

Propnomicon said...

You're very kind to ask, but until I figure out how to make sure they stay intact during shipping I wouldn't feel comfortable selling any of these. Once I solve that problem I'd be more than happy to exploi...er... market the little nasties.

Rev. Marx said...

I have the Delta green book in question. What do you need from it?

Propnomicon said...

In the Stagecraft section of the book there's a section dealing with a prop worm created using a condom and liquid silicone. Is it possible you could scan that for me?

I'm pretty sure it's the worm I produced, but I never received a contributor's copy of the book so I thought it hadn't been used.

Rev. Marx said...

Sure, give me a day or two. My scanner is not installed right now, but I think I can get some hi-res pics of the pages. If not, I'll hook up the scanner.

Propnomicon said...

Thanks, I really appreciate it. If it does turn out to be my worm that would double my number of publishing credits. Heh.

Rev. Marx said...

That sort of thing is always a little ego boost. My picture is in the newest Chtulhu Live book. It's a very small thing, but it gave me quite a tickle when I saw it.

Propnomicon said...

It's the kind of thing I show to the members of my family with respectable careers. I was able to milk my contribution to "Chromebook 4" for the old Cyberpunk game for quite awhile.