Friday, January 4, 2013

The Lutin

Jacob Petersson brings us this outstanding mummified fae- the Lutin. It's an interesting mix of a whimsical Froud-style fairy with a mummified gaff. The distressed clothing kicks it up another notch.

"Following the death of François de la Motte, Baron d'Aulnoy a curious entry appears in the house inventory- item nr 1443, a preserved "Lutin" under blown glass dome. The item was presumably donated to the curiosity cabinet of king Louis XIV. It disappeared however, during the turbulence of the revolution and the current whereabouts of the Lutin d'Aulnoy remain unknown."


6 comments:

TheRedneckScientist said...

Amazing, I've been able to admire a few of these fairy projects for the expertise involved but to me this one strikes the perfect balance between cutesey and macabre.

Andy said...

cool posting

Andy Troy said...

I'm actually the guy this piece was commissioned for and I have to say it's AMAZING, from a distance or up close. The attention to detail to both the "lutin" legend and my story in which it appears are crazy. Like Propnomicon said, the clothing is of high quality, the skin is a cross between a mummified "bog body" and the look of petrified wood, and it even still floats!!

I'm also a big fan of Jacob's presentation; not simply content to display the lutin upright, he created a whole stand made of petrified wood and a matching glass dome, as if a groundskeeper or peasant found or captured the creature and made something fitting to contain it. It's truly one of the best pieces in my collection, and the fact that it was inspired by my short story makes it that much more special. :)

Glad everyone likes Jacob's work!

Rhissanna said...

This is just wonderful!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Could you tell me how I can contact Jacob please.
I love that piece so much.
Thanks
Mike

Propnomicon said...

You should be able to reach him via his Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/curiomira/?ref=hl