Monday, May 28, 2012

Quick and Dirty Intestines

The talented Allen Hopps brings us this video tutorial on making prop intestines with nothing more than plastic wrap, some paint, and a heat gun.

One of the reasons I like Mr. Hopps self-described ghetto* approach to propmaking is how flexible the basic techniques are. As he briefly mentions near the end of the video there's so much more you can do with his layered melting procedure than just making intestines. The gnarled organic texture the tube molding approach produces is ideal for tentacles, tendrils, worms, vines...anything long and ropy. Mold it to a flat surface and you could create everything from fleshy tome covers to biological artifacts and massive wall panels for a set.







*Personally, I prefer the term "redneck engineering" because that's the kind of duct tape and baling wire tinkering I grew up with. You can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the man. Heh.

2 comments:

Rhissanna said...

Really brilliant. I wonder how they'd look coiled in a jar? That's what I need next. Thank you, Propnomicon!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I had absolutely no plans to ever sit down one day and just randomly make fake intestines... but now I do! I think I'd like mine with a tint of green.