Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Cthulhu Pendant

Special effects designer Luis Alberto Cayo currently has a project up on Kickstarter to fund the production of a very nice Cthulhu pendant. It's a quality sculpt, albeit digital, and I think the pledge level for obtaining one is very reasonable.

That said, and with all due respect to Mr. Cayo, I think his marketing video actually hurts the likelihood of the project succeeding. His heart is in the right place, but I don't think an appeal based on "Help me start a business so I can work at home and spend more time with my family" is the right approach.



5 comments:

Amanda C. Kooser said...

That is a neat pendant at a reasonable price, but I do agree on the video. He should be selling this based on the sheer awesomeness of it.

Raven said...

On the other hand, if we do help him start a business making such items, that means there will be more such "sheer awesomeness" for us to buy from him....

And isn't this part of the reason we're happy to support other artists by paying them sometimes rather a lot for their creative products?

So they can make a living at it, and therefore keep producing?

kaeyous said...

Hello guys, Luis Alberto Cayo here. I agree, the video wasn't really good. I just changed it and put some audio extracts from "The Call of Cthulhu". Is a nice little treat. Hope you guys enjoy it. Thank you for blogging about my piece. Ia Ia Cthulhu fhtagn

Aleister Crow said...

Honestly, I pledged before even watching the video. That pendant needs to be made.

CoastConFan said...

That's a nice sculpt. I am reminded of the bone eating creatures in the 1966 movie Island of Terror.