Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cthulhu Fhtagn! Gomez Edition.

I don't think I'm being too presumptuous when I say that I'm a a connoisseur of Cthulhu. Over the years I've had the pleasure of collecting dozens of depictions of the sleeping god here on Propnomicon, but this is truly an unimaginable gem. I can think of only two other Cthulhu idols that even come close to this paragon of the art.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a truly magical masterpiece- the dread Cthulhu of Victor Gomez.



What makes this sculpture really stand out isn't just its sense of playfulness, but the incredible craftsmanship. The first time I saw it on Etsy the effect was like I'd been smacked upside the head with a board. Not one of those flimsy modern boards that they laughingly call a "two by four". No, this was vintage lumber. A big honkin' piece of seasoned hardwood that was cut true to size by rough men who wore un-ironic flannel shirts and smoked unfiltered Camels. Men with nicknames like "Stubby", because blade guards were for candy asses, by God.

Words simply can't describe the thoughts that were running through my head as I tried to grasp just what I was seeing (a sensation I'm sure other visitors to Etsy-land have experienced as well). The sculpting. The paint job. The gobs of epoxy. By the time I was able to process it all I knew one thing for certain.

I had found the perfect idol for today's post.

6 comments:

CoastConFan said...

Gosh, you can place that idol next to your cherished hand-knitted Cthulhu tea cozy from etsy. Many happy returns of the season.

Rob said...

A Pokemon Cthulhu!

DrPnakotic said...

This post had me busting a gut. Props for you, propnomicon.

Michael W. Moses South Coast Antiques said...

The horror! Oh, the horror of of it all! This sends my mind to realms where no man's thoughts should ever go! This is mind searing!

Phil said...

Rob nailed it. Its Pokethulhu!

"Yog Sothoth! I choose you!"

Jason McKittrick said...

I always look forward to your April Fools post. It never disappoints!