Friday, December 24, 2010

Miskatonic University Update

Thanks to your generosity the full-sized Miskatonic University pennant is now funded.

Here's the original I'm basing it on- a Harvard pennant from the early 20's.

The repro pennants will be very close to this one in construction, with white printing on a red felt banner. The body will have a white felt strip sewn on the edge so you can mount it on a dowel and hoist it at your favorite sporting event, if you're so inclined.

The font used is a custom Tuscan that I haven't been able to find a freeware equivalent for. Reproducing it by hand is a possibility, but the "IFC Insane Rodeo" font by Anton Krylov is very similar to the original. Close enough that I'm in the process of getting a commercial license so I can use it for the project. It's not a perfect match, but it captures the stylized look of the original without edging too far into the circus or western look.


NoTaMu said...

I find this freeware font closer to the original

Rick de G. said...

That looks very nice.
The typography looks off however. In the original every letter is smaller than the previous. In the digital mock-up, it looks like you automated it.

I hope I explained it clear enough.

Chris Tucker said...

I am loving the pennant!