Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Defender

Tom Banwell's ongoing "Defender" helmet project is nearing completion . It's not only beautiful to look at, but his posts detailing it's construction are an education in creative materials use and craftsmanship.


I'm a big believer in the DIY ethos of sharing information and techniques, as opposed to the tendency some artists have of keeping things "secret". Mr. Banwell's efforts to show even the smallest details of his works are both a credit to his artistry and a valuable resource. I know I'm never going to create a mask at his level, but from his pointers and commentary I've picked up enough confidence to start planning my first foray into resin casting.

3 comments:

Artsnark said...

Great shout out to Tom. Love his site!

Tom Banwell said...

Wow, thanks for the plug. I was blogging about you when I went to your site to get the link, and discovered you had written about me!

Propnomicon said...

@ ArtSnark

That it is. His art is beautiful, but I also love reading his thought processes as he creates it.

@ Tom Banwell

Your kindness is only exceeded by your talent.