Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cthulhu Fhtagn! Broers Edition.

This Piltdown Cthulhu from Joe Broers is an awesome piece of work.

Despite the hundreds of sculpts featured here on the blog only a handful try to recreate the look of a truly primitive Cthulhu idol.  To be honest, I didn't fully appreciate this one until I had it in my hands.   That's when you can see, and feel, the detail work that went into it.  The sculpt faithfully recreates the look of a stone idol scribed and pecked into shape with hand tools.  That's no small feat.  On top of that, the finish work is a perfect reproduction of the burial rime found on stone artifacts.




3 comments:

CoastConFan said...

It really looks like it was created by abrasion as many very early hard stone works, with the details scratch incised on the vague form. It’s a masterwork of textural subtleness for a piece sculpted in clay rather than in stone. The hint of encrustation and the general pitting is well executed. This piece really has curb appeal and believability, clearly Mr. Broers has done his homework.

Unknown said...

I guess I will be getting this one. He has so many great pieces, and I find them all interesting in different ways. I need to look through the list and see what else I am going to get to go with it this time.

josefk said...

Thanks for the compliments. My original was wax so I really wasn't certain how it would turn out until I made a mold, cast, and painted one. I was really pleased with the finished product as it came out exactly as I'd hoped.