Today we dip into the Tillinghast specimen well once again.
One of the things I didn't like about the first iteration of this subject was the presentation. The storage box was an off-the-shelf model from Hobby Lobby and, well, it looked exactly like what it was. This time around I took the time to flame age a plain wood box. That involved charring the surface with a blow torch and then using a wire brush to remove the burned wood, exposing and enhancing the grain. That technique produces a great worn finish.
The specimen itself is considerably improved over the first one. The head has a definite skeletal structure and there's developed musculature anchoring the mandibles. The multiple eyes really bring the whole thing to life. Or at least make the illusion of something that was once alive more effective.
The barbed stinger has a great organic look. I was surprised how much it's appearance improved after I added a subtle S-curve to it's length.
The dorsal view gives you a better feel for the head structure. The spine is visible under the skin, with multiple vertebrae stretching from the head back to the tail.
The ventral view gives you a good look at the eight mandibles surrounding the mouth. I also added two sets of motive vanes. Having them run the entire length of the body is a callback to the look of segmented deep sea worms.
Some closeup shots of the fore-body. I like the rich color provided by the shellacked finish, but it's hard to photograph effectively because of all the highlights from the shiny surface. I think the next time time around I'm going to try giving it a rub down with wax-based schmutz to dull the highlights and bring out more of the surface detail.
If you like the piece it just happens to be available on Ebay.