Thursday, August 25, 2011

My Curmudgeonly Ways

I just wanted to make one of my biannual postings about Propnomicon's subject matter.

In general, the blog focuses on realistic depictions of occult or horror subjects, and in particular, those based on the works of H. P. Lovecraft. That includes reference materials for making said props, a catchall area that includes everything from painting tutorials to map collections from the 1920s. I occasionally feature a science fiction prop if I find it particularly interesting.

Sadly, I have little or no interest in anything "cute".* That includes chibi Cthulhu, super-deformed Cthulhu, knitted Cthulhu hats or gloves, Cthulhu plushies, anime-style Cthulhu, smiley-face Cthulhu, and anything along those lines. I'm a crotchety old man and quit finding the ironic usage of the Mythos gut-bustingly funny about ten years ago. I definitely respect the amount of work and talent that go into those kinds of things, but they're not my cup of tea. Which reminds me- add Cthulhu tea cozies to that list.

I love when people send me pictures or links to props they've created. If you can share a little bit about how the piece was created and any special techniques you used I'm even more appreciative. I can't guarantee I'll use everything you send, but if it's similar to the kind of thing I normally feature it's a shoo in. If it doesn't get posted, please don't take it personally. Half the stuff I do never gets shown because I'm not happy with it or I wasn't able to get a decent picture.


*The one exception to this is my annual April Fools day post.

4 comments:

Tim D. said...

Bravo! Stick to your guns!

CoastConFan said...

I thought you were joking about the tea cozy until I did a google. There were pages of them.

Jason McKittrick said...

And that's why I follow this blog. Keep up the good work!

Phil said...

*Takes his 'My Little Azathoth' figure and goes off to sulk*