Monday, August 22, 2011

Audio Hosting

One area of Lovecraftiana I haven't really done much with is audio clips. That's somewhat surprising, since I produce radio imaging and commercials for a living. Then again, after spending a whole day voicing monster truck and concert ads the last thing I usually want to do is more recording and editing.

Up until now I've kept my professional work and hobby separate, but I have a few ideas for some produced clips that would be useful for game use. If you have any suggestions for a free hosting service I'd love to hear them.


Update: My thanks to everyone for the very helpful suggestions. Hopefully I'll have something for you to listen to by the end of the month.

8 comments:

GB Steve said...

Yog-sothoth.com would probably host an any clips you make. It's an enormous site.

CoastConFan said...

Propnomicon, you might consider http://www.aboutsf.com/main/ who, among other things produce podcasts of science fiction, fantasy & horror for play on line.

One of these days, I would like to read one of Lovecraft’s works and put it on line for people to listen and perhaps get interested in Lovecraft and other author’s works.

Lord Auron said...

1920's style news reports that, while not actually outright stating mythos-related things, would give a distinct atmosphere as to something going on. From odd occurrences to the unveiling of an artifact at the local museum to an unusual road closing, all sorts of things could be used.

For players with access to police radio, perhaps a series of odd police dispatches and calls. They hear about something going on or maybe the death of a policeman caught by some horrid being (get a cabbage to tear apart while yelping in agony and then make yummy cole slaw).

On the complex end, recordings of arcane rituals and spoken dictations made by a previous investigator. Possibly with codes within them.

Naamah said...

From the point of view of services I prefer to use as the downloader, Mediafire gets my vote. I've never had a problem retrieving files from there. I like it from an uploading stuff point of view, too, but I do way less of that.

choctawgh said...

I'm happy to provide you with free hosting if you need it.

Mr. Primate said...

Soundcloud would be best for single clips. You can add a player to your blog posts. Example: http://aordisco.blogspot.com/2011/08/cheap-sunglasses-hottersmudge-light-is.html

Otherwise for single files a lot seem to use Divshare and for zip/rar files Mediafire. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure SoundCloud is free but I've never used it myself.

Magpie said...

I would second the recommendation for Soundcloud too.