Sunday, August 15, 2010

Expedition Gear

Dr. Cagliostro brings us this wonderful tableau of vintage expedition gear.



Obviously, heading into the wilderness with antique camping gear isn't the kind of thing that appeals to every pulp era gamer, but it's not as over the top as you may think. There comes a time when roughing it in the Adirondacks with nothing more than the pack on your back gives way to an appreciation for truly relaxing in the outdoors. With vintage and vintage-style gear like camp chairs and wall tents a simple getaway can be transformed into a luxurious experience. Not to mention how atmospheric an old school camp is.

Collectors of period outdoor gear have driven the prices of some items through the roof, but with a little smart shopping for vintage pieces and the judicious use of reproductions it's surprisingly easy to put together a complete set of kit. In many cases you'll find buying antique equipment is cheaper than purchasing the shoddily made modern alternatives.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Not all modern alternatives are shoddily made, but vintage/antique equipment is definitely cheaper than the well-made modern alternatives.

Good modern equipment is lighter and easier to set up, but lacks the warmth and charm of older kit. From a purely "camping" point of view, it's been my experience that with modern equipment you always feel like you're camping, but with vintage equipment you feel like you've set up a temporary home.

Propnomicon said...

@ Scott

I find myself more and more drawn to classic camping gear. I'm sure a large part of that is that I'm an old guy with a dodgy back, so my vertebrae prefer car camping to backpacking now.

I'm not quite ready to pass on my titanium pot, lexan french press, and sil nylon tarp to the kids, but it's just a matter of time until I do. Ten years ago the spring REI catalog was my money sink. These days I find myself browsing Cabelas for a good chuck box that I can fit all my cast iron and granite ware cooking gear into.