Friday, February 10, 2017

Shelter from the Storm

I had hoped that the politicization of everything would end last November, but, sadly, such is not the case.  For reasons I frankly don't understand a large percentage of the population feels a deep and abiding need to not only share their political opinions, but endlesssly, mercilessly, beat you over the head with them.  That's why I've pretty much given up on any kind of social media.

On the bright side, that's not an issue here.  I don't waste your time with my goofy political beliefs, and never will.  It's a violation of basic politeness.  This post from 2011 lays out the reasons why. 

I was recently approached by a reader to donate a few items to one of those "Art for Insert Cause Here" type events.* When I politely declined, since it was for a political cause I don't happen to support, I found myself being subjected to one of the most hateful, vituperative emails I've ever had the displeasure to read. What made it even more painful is that it was from someone I've corresponded with on a pretty regular basis in connection with propmaking and Lovecraft scholarship.

Things like that are why I never, ever bring up the subject of politics here.

I understand people are passionate about issues they care about. I'm very politically active and regularly contribute to causes and candidates I support. If you're so inclined you could probably dig up my history of donations, although I try to keep them all below the $200 Federal reporting threshold for privacy reasons. I love discussing politics, and there are a few regular readers with diametrically opposing views to mine that I've exchanged polite emails with on various subjects.

That said, I also think those kind of discussions don't have to be interjected into every single facet of life. There are a few websites I used to frequent on a daily basis that are now unreadable because they've become infested with true-believers. There is no shortage of sites devoted entirely to political discussion, but for reasons that escape me the most die-hard tribalists feel the need to not only slurp up the kool aid themselves, but relentlessly press anyone passing by to take a deep drink from the punchbowl.

There's an old tradition that gentlefolk refrain from discussing politics and religion in polite company. I think that's a pretty good rule to live by.**

*As an aside, what self-respecting political cause would want to have anything to do with my work? As entertaining as I, and by extension you, might find these things they're not exactly mainstream. Half rotted parasitic worms? Mummified body parts? Murderous cult fetishes? Sweet fancy Moses, I'm an attack ad just waiting to happen.

** At least until the end times. That's when I'll merrily try to convert you all to my cultish minions. If I'm lucky I'll be able to enjoy some some truly epic drunken debauchery featuring gallons of absinthe and dozens of scantily-clad goth chicks before the Dark Lord devours my soul. Oh, and I want to work an opium den in there somewhere. Come to think of it, I really just want to live like a pulp-era villain when the end of days rolls around. A sentimental traditionalist, that's me.

10 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

Well stated, good Sir....
a pleasant weekend to you and yours...
... Hello from Marshville ( Jerry Rushing of this county wrote on the police and political corruption of this area (Dukes of Hazzard)... And our Mayor is former big Drug Dealer , Chief of Police is a corrupt Pervert (who extorts $$$ from Hispanic drug dealers)... (Do not have to post this ... just a bit of info...

Ddrumss2112 said...

Preach Cult Leader, preach, and pass the draught of phan!
I've enjoyed this blog as part of my daily routine & has found shelter in your neutrality from this insane world. I feel with all the absurd bickering from all angles of every issue  (as that practically everything has been politized, toilet paper is most likely next) Cthulhu has chosen the worst possible way to inspire madness.
I thank you whole heartedly for being a true Outer God & abstaining in care for human affairs.
IA! IA! PROPNOMICON!

**I'd like to RSVP a spot in your end time plans if possible, sounds like a blast.

bea said...

So if I'm following you correctly....people are posting political views...on an "H.P. Lovecraft themed" prop building blog? I'd almost like to SEE them. I'm BAFFLED how those two things are even compatible (except maybe for the awesome "Vote Cthulhu" stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping Propnomicon politics free. I agree that there are other places we can go for that if we choose. Any discussion we have here should be kept to whether we choose to fight against the nameless cosmic hordes (which, in the end, is folly) or whether we submit ourselves to the mercy of Cthulhu (good luck, It has no mercy).


Unknown said...

I just try to stay out of politics altogether. I have become pretty cynical about the whole thing after seeing the kind of "my side vs. yer side" mentality that has become ultra prevalent this season.

CoastConFan said...

I don’t blame you for staying publicly neutral here, after all, this is a site about props associated primarily with the Mythos and nothing more. I remember your previous post about irate donation seekers and their charming interactions. In the past few years, most social media platforms have been converged upon by trolls, agitators, and groupthink zombies, which is why I also avoid them.

Isn’t it strange that some people making a solicitation out of the blue for a mandatory free handout (as some sort of unspoken right or endowment, apparently) often seem to get aggressive or churlish when they don’t get what they demand. As far as I am concerned, bullying will never get them anywhere regardless of their specious rationale or supposed political persuasion. Being fingered to make a mandatory “gift” or get hassled and harassed is nothing but a shakedown.

Don’t worry Propy, come The End of Times, you’ll get eaten first! p.s. Speaking of pulp-era villains, consider a to-do list for being a successful evil overlord see below

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/dungeon_a.html
http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/dungeon_b.html

Anonymous said...

Consider this my like button clicking.

Ward Shrake said...

Hallelujah, or the cultish equivalent, that you feel that way about that stuff! I love reading your site, and do it regularly. And am damn glad to have it "insanity free".

Propnomicon said...

@ Dr. Theda

Nobody likes corruption, particularly when it leads to "The Dukes of Hazzard". Heh.

@ Ddrumss2112

I'll be taking reservations for my absinthe-fueled "End Times Extravaganza" as soon as R'lyeh rises.

@ bea

My latest rant was brought on by someone on Facebook messaging me to complain I hadn't featured one of their works. I had no idea they'd actually posted something since I quit following them months ago because of the constant, unending political spam.

@ Anonymous

Hey, I love hashing out politics. I just don't think it needs to be injected into every single conversation.

@ wonderguardstalker

If two tribes want to go to war, more power to them. It's when they try and force everyone on the sidelines to take a side that I throw up my hands.

@ CoastConFan

I think most of these art for a cause things are more about virtue signalling than actually raising funds.

@ Anonymous

I'm most appreciative.

@ Ward Shrake

I think insanity genuinely has a lot to do with it. In my experience there is a direct correlation between people who openly admit they have a mental illness and their propensity to engage in never-ending political spam.







James R. said...

It's a real shame that people gets butthurt on politics. I try to avoid the same thing, and if I could donate to people, I would. I hope that everything would work out well. Keep up the good work.