Sunday, February 12, 2017

Gnome Trail Ration

Wats6831 returns with another collection of edible props for his tabletop fantasy game. This time he tackles gnomes, serving up a variety of trail foods:
This ration was really fun to make but seriously disgusting. The blood sausage tasted like bloody spicy guts. The smelt were surprisingly good, but kinda underwhelming in flavor. Bread was awesome, like a shortbread cookie but soft and savory. Quail eggs were...questionable...we found them on the floor at a sketchy asian market. Not my thing seriously. This was by far the most fun ration but the least edible. I think we'll just remake the elven one again. There really aren't any words for how foul that blood sausage was. Even the cheese was gross, hot spicy and a nasty aftertaste.


I'm not as enamored of this iteration as I was of his earlier efforts.  Part of the problem is the lack of a readily identifiable gnomish cultural identity.  To good or bad effect, Tolkien provided the template for races like dwarves, elves, and orcs.  When I hear "gnome" I think of lawn ornaments.

You'll find the Reddit discussion of this trail meal over here.  It includes links to all the previous racial rations.

3 comments:

Porkpie Paul said...

These brave brave gastronauts... I have really been enjoying the posts. I have to say I think in hindsight they will enjoy the gnome food..... Especially when they get to the Orc and Ogre picnics!

bea said...

YOU ARE IN ERROR SIR! There is PLENTY of "readily identifiable gnomish cultural identity" just buy "Gnomes" by Wil Huygen and Rien Poortvliet. It's on amazon for like $5.00. It should be in EVERY prop makers library in my opinion.ISBN# (ASIN: B000O2RSBS)

Propnomicon said...

@ bea

I'd totally repressed any memories of that. The final episode of the cartoon series still creeps me out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqC8ANhMdFo