Friday, August 22, 2014

The Night Floors

Here's something a bit different.  I banged this out based on a request from a Redditor for an audio prop for a "Call of Cthulhu" scenario.   The clip is part of Dennis Detwiller's "The Night Floors" for "Delta Green", which just happens to be available at his website.  It's a very moody piece that makes a great one-shot for Halloween.  The faux-voicemail message is available for download at SoundCloud.  Those of a delicate sensibility should be aware that there's some fleeting adult language in the clip.

RPG Answering Machine Message Prop by Propnomicon

If you happen to need any kind of voiceover work for a game please don't hesitate to drop me a line.   It's a fun change of pace from the monster truck and concert spots I do for a living.

4 comments:

CoastConFan said...

It's a nice piece of work and I really couldn't tell it was you. Clearly they came to the right person. I have a good friend with a great, old time radio voice that I have been trying for years to get to read for audio books. But so far, no dice. He also had a background in TV for a while, so he isn't shy.

Propnomicon said...

@ CoastConFan

Thanks. Something like this is easier to voice because you can intentionally dirty it up with a lot of mouth noises. Normally I back off the mic to limit breathiness and lip smack, but for this that's exactly the kind of earthiness I wanted. Although my NY accent kind of vanished when I tried to pronounce "Borges" correctly. Heh.

The Client said...

Thanks again Mr Props. This is a first class piece of work - better than I could have hoped for.

CoastConFan said...

The weird hotel room reminds me of a similar thing in Haruki Murakami’s A Wild Sheep Chase and it crops up again in the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I recommend the novels to readers of Propnomicon’s blog because although it’s not Mythos, it dips deeply into skewed perception to the point of “magical reality” found in the fiction works of Borges.

Besides, A Wild Sheep Chase is also a detective novel about a guy who is shown a photo of a sheep in a field and is told to find the sheep – no other information is given. His detective work in figuring out the location of the sheep and its import is fascinating and the secret he learns is nearly as huge as the Mythos. I always hoped to spring a scenario on some RPG types and let them run with the ball.