Monday, May 12, 2014

From Beyond

We dip our hands into extra-dimensional space once again and pull out this vicious little monstrosity. 

This Tillinghast specimen builds on the previous incarnations.  In a callout to deep sea worms I've added a more visible spinal structure and some sub-cutaneous armor plates running along the length of the body. 




I've refined the mouth structure a bit, better defining the musculature holding the mandibles and adding a pair of bony internal plates.  The outer mouth is based on the secondary jaws of the goblin shark, but I think the next iteration is going to have a more conventional jaw structure.  I want to get the mouth wide enough that I can add some squicky detail to the interior.



One of the reasons I write up these narratives is to encourage you to give sculpting a try.  The most effective way to overcome a lack of natural talent is to just do it.  Your first project is going to suck.  Your second will suck a little less, and if you keep at it you'll steadily improve until you don't suck anymore.  The key is to keep plugging away at it.  I'm nowhere near artists like Simon Lee or Jordu Schell, but I'm a hell of a lot better than I was two years ago. Most of that improvement has come since the start of this year when I started working on one project a week. A few more weeks and I should graduate from "Meh" to "adequate". Heh.



If you like this project it just happens to be available on Ebay.  Or, even better, you could pick up some polymer clay from the craft store and try making one of your own.


3 comments:

Phil said...

A much nicer skin texture on this one.

Stella Anderson said...

Is that a challenge? Well Sir, I accept your challenge. Although, if you don't mind, I think I'll go with paper mache instead of polymer clay.

Propnomicon said...

@ Phil

Thanks. I'm trying to refine my texturing technique.

@ Stella Anderson

I'm glad to hear that! If there's anything I can do to help please don't hesitate to ask. And remember to post pics!