Saturday, October 22, 2011

Four Years On

Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of Propnomicon. The first post back in 2007 featured a tutorial from Make on crafting your own vampire fangs. Since then there have been 1265 more posts, a number I never imagined I'd reach back then.

The basic focus of the blog is the same today as it was four years ago, but there have been some major changes. During the first two months of it's existence there were 22 visitors in total. Now the blog gets an average of just under a thousand hits a day. In total there have been 611,334 unique visits since the blog started, and 1,407,413 page views. Here's a look at the Sitemeter logs as of this morning.



That's all just a drop in the bucket to the traffic generated by one of the top tier tech blogs, but for one servicing a tiny niche audience it's pretty impressive. Here's a look at how the readership breaks down in terms of nationality over the last month.



Here are the most popular posts by subject over the same time frame.



While the growth in readership has been a real positive some other developments over the last year weren't quite so pleasant. I was slapped with cease and desist orders by two artists and received threats of legal action from a third. The first C&D was for linking to pictures of a prop being offered for sale that did, indeed, infringe the artist's copyright. I complied with that one and removed the link. The second was for linking to pictures of another prop that was in a private collection. I politely declined to comply with it and haven't heard a peep since.

The threatened lawsuit was a little more involved. The artist in question thought that the various "kits" I've featured infringed on his own work. I provided documentation for the existence of various vampire, werewolf, and witch hunting kits, not to mention embellished wunderkammer-style presentations of exotic creatures, stretching back into the early 20th century. When that wasn't enough I pointed out that his own work was simply a copy of those earlier efforts. That really set him off.

Eventually I had to drag the family lawyer into the picture. Helpfully, in addition to being an experienced advocate he happens to be a prop collector. Many of the items I've posted were destined for his own collection, and the first Antarctic expedition patch was created largely at his urging. Thanks to his efforts the absurd legal threats came to an end.

So that's where things stand with Propnomicon as it enters it's fifth year. I want to sincerely thank you for supporting not only the blog, but it's associated projects. It's been a real pleasure bringing it to you. I hope you'll find it even better in the year to come.

19 comments:

SpaceOrochi said...

This is the first time I leave to you a comment... I discovered your blog this past summer and I loved it. You don't know how much I got inspired and amazed by the works you showed here. Thank you for all your work and your perseverance!

CoastConFan said...

Happy anniversary Propnomicon! It’s not about the views but about the fantastic stuff you dig up nearly every day. A four year run is phenomenal for a one man show and don’t think I don’t know how much work and dedication is needed.

One odd thing about this genre is that there is almost no Japanese interest reflected in the stats. I find that hard to believe given the Japanese interest in monsters and Lovecraft. I wonder if somehow google Japan is somehow filtering out Lovecraft blogs and content. I don’t think I have had a Japanese view yet myself.

Keep up the good work Propnomicon, the information, tips, links, photos on your sundry subjects are all useful to us, the reading public. Let’s see the next four years be as great as the last four years.

R. Glipglorp said...

A most robust and decidedly non-Euclidian congratulations to you, sir! Your enthusiasm and creations have made many (myself included) exceedingly happy, and this labor of love on your part is greatly appreciated.

Here's looking forward to many more years ahead, if that's what hold your interest! At least until R'lyeh's lodger decides to check out and head up to pay us all a visit...

Shane Mangus said...

Actually, it should be we the readers thanking you for all the hard work you have put into this project. I have found it inspiring, and I consider Propnomicon to be one of the finest blogs I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Hard work always pays off, and the readership you have gathered is a large one for a very good reason. Congrats and keep up the great work!

Go Blue! said...

Happy Birthday! Many more years!
(And, thank you for the timely link to the fang tutorial!)

Propnomicon said...

@ Gibbo

Thank you for the very kind words.

@ CoastConFan

Unfortunately, there's still quite a bit of segregation between the English speaking and non-English speaking web. Anyone looking for "Cthulhu" or "Necronomicon" will likely end up here, but there are just a few search terms like that in the Lovecraft world.

On my end I feel a bit guilty because I can't find more non-English content. I can read French and German at a tourist level of ability, knowing about 100 words in each, but that's not enough to target searches.

@Cmaaarrr

The well-wishes are most appreciated.

@ Shane Magnus

I suspect your most recent project, the one in your profile pic, consumes far more time than my efforts. Heh.

@ Go Blue!

Helpful DIY advice and cheesy puns is what I'm all about.

Rev. Marx said...

Congratulations Propnomicon!
I have greatly enjoyed reading your blog, almost daily, and I love the projects you have personally contributed to the community as much as or more so than the other material that you showcase.

I am also personally grateful for the link and showcasing you have given to my own work. Yours was the first blog to ever link to mine, or feature one of my art pieces, and you continue to be a heavy contributor (second highest, behind google images) to my blog's traffic flow.

Thank you very much for everything you do.

Phil said...

A happy birthday from me as well! Lik eGibbo said, your site has been a source of endless inspiration and ideas as I struggle with my own projects. This is the first place I visit when I sit down in front of my keyboard in the morning.
All of us can't thank you enough for all the work you put into keeping this place going and bringing us new goodies nearly every day.
Heres to many more anniversaries to come!

Yellow Phantom said...

Congrats on the milestone, here's to many more years!

Alex Kaeda said...

Happy BlogBirthday.

For the past couple years, Propnomicon has been a daily visit, and has been filled with inspiring art and projects.

I'm looking forward to 4 more years of inspiration and projects!

Propnomicon said...

@ Rev. Marx

My thanks. One of the things I'm proudest of is that I've been able to give some attention to deserving artists.

@ Phil

It's all part of my insidiously clever master plan. The more cool stuff I can find the more folks take a crack at creating their own cool stuff, which gives me more cool stuff to post.

@ Yellow Phantom

Your kindness is most appreciated.

@ Alex Kaeda

Hopefully I'll keep plugging along until they put me in a retirement home. When that time comes I plan on splitting my time between the blog and chasing after young women in their 40s.

Primatoide futile said...

Happy blog anniversary !
Your blog provides an extraordinary source of inspiration, thanks to your efforts and tutorials.
I am sorry (but unfortunately not too surprised) to hear you got in trouble with some.
Thank you, and keep up the good work !
Primatoide Futile

Rex said...

Long-time reader, first-time commenter — keep up the great work!

Tome Wilson said...

Keep up the great work!

Tim D. said...

Propnomicon is an inspiration not only for the Lovecraft enthusiast but the artist as well. Glad the legal wrangling hasn't turned you off continuing the excellent work!

Archard said...

yay I am a statistic of worth, happy anniversary!

Chris said...

Propnomicon has been the inspiration for my own Lovecraftian work and is easily among the very best Blogs I follow. Congratulations and please continue your great work :)

Drhoz said...

Thanks for putting the blog together, and doubly thanks for including my own meager efforts :)

Anonymous said...

I have just found your site, as of about two weeks ago, and I've been greedily reading each and every article. Thank you! It's more than Fab.

- Me