Friday, June 16, 2023

Blogger Photo Dump

 According to an email I just received, Google is shutting down their Album Archive on Monday, 6/19 (Actually 7/19, see below).  Apparently, that could result in every photo here on Propnomicon vanishing.  Forever.  I didn't realize photos uploaded here were actually stored there, but that seems to be the case.

Needless to say, the situation has me in a bit of a panic.  I've uploaded literally thousands of photos since the blog started, and the thought of losing it all isn't pleasant.  Hopefully, I'm misunderstanding the situation.  At this point, all I can suggest is archiving any content you want to keep by Monday.  I'm trying to save as much as I can using Google's tools, but it's a lot of stuff.

I'll refresh this post as soon as I hear more.

Update:  I've saved the photos and I'm currently archiving the entire site using Google Takeout.  Fingers crossed that when Monday rolls around all this is unnecessary. 

 Update 2:  Turns out, they're clearing the albums on 7/19.  In my defense, I normally get up at around 3 AM, so I can be a little fuzzy by 8 PM at night.

10 comments:

Tim Lonegan said...

Egad! There must be some way to copy the entire site to include all the photos. Should you find a way please let me know. Propnomicon is a Lovecraftian cultural treasure and must be preserved!

Joey Bernard said...

It looks like you can go to Google Takeout to do a pull. Also, you can use tools like wget to grab a full copy of the site.

Propnomicon said...

@Tim Lonegan

The good news is that Google's Takeout feature let me download all the pictures. It came to just under half a gig.

The bad news is that I may have to manually upload each and every one of them if the current links from Blogger go dead. That probably isn't doable.

I'll know more on Monday.

Propnomicon said...

@Joey Bernard

We literally posted at the same time. Heh.

Thanks for the wget suggestion. Now that I have at least the images saved I'm looking at doing a full archive.

Anonymous said...

The email I got said July 19th so 30 days for me..

Propnomicon said...

@Anonymous

I just want back to check and you are absolutely correct it's actually happening on 7/19. Mea culpa. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

Raven said...

Per one tech-advice website ("tom's guide"), this will affect only older Google services; "Users can "view and manage" content beyond July 19 on other Google services like Blogger"

Raven said...

Also, periodically I do save Propnomicon on web.archive.com, e.g. here (left-click, open in new tab). You may wish to take over that precaution....

Raven said...

Oh, and a neat feature of Web.Archive is its ability to do wildcard searches that are not so easy to do live. Here, for instance, is an archive of items from your Blogspot picture collection.

Raven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.