Friday, January 24, 2020

One of Us

Jason McKittrick, one of the most prolific Mythos artists around, was recently diagnosed with Bell's Palsy.  I hope you'll join me in wishing him a complete and rapid recovery.  His work has been featured here for years, and I hope that continues for many years to come.




Friday I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Basically what this means is that due to inflammation of the facial nerves, the left side of my face is paralyzed. This is a full smile. Eating and drinking are a challenge now plus my speech has been affected quite a bit. The biggest difficulty is my eyesight though. Because of not being able to blink correctly my eyes dry out quickly so I constantly have to use eye drops. Not a very good situation for an artist. Because Bell's Palsy isn't fully understood recovery times differ with each person and full recovery isn't guaranteed. Some folks recover in two weeks while others can take up to a year. I'm optimistic. I wasn't going to post about this because honestly it's embarrassing but I realized sharing my situation could be therapeutic. Not gonna lie, this has been very stressful for me but I'm staying positive. . . . . #bellspalsy
A post shared by Jason McKittrick (@the_cryptocurium) on

8 comments:

Schlitzie said...

I wish ya a full and speedy recovery Jason! Did the doctor ask if you had performed any unusual rituals lately that might have a side effect? Possibly you have some shady lineage and you're just turning into a Deep One...All jokes aside, take it one day at a time.

bea said...

So sad. He's the best mythos sculptor out there. Most can do Cthulhu, or another being, but he can do them ALL. And his sculpts are always well sized for the money with good "heft". He will work with customers and fans for specific paint options etc. This is really terrible news. Let him know he has friends!

De Profundis said...

My father had this a number of years ago and made a full recovery within a few weeks. Hopefully it will be the same for him, I have really loved his work over the years. All the best to him!

herb said...

It always is a mystery to me why some people leave well wishes for person A in person Bs comment sections or even asking questions targeted at person A there.

herb said...

It always is a mystery to me why some people leave well wishes for person A in person Bs comment sections or even asking questions targeted at person A there.

NYC Stagehand said...

All the best to you! I know a couple of people who have dealt with this horrible inconvenience. Facial massage seems to help.

You"ve got this beat!

Schlitzie said...

If you're addressing me Herb, it's because i know that Jason will read these comments eventually and the questions where rhetorical.

terrifel said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and continued artistic accomplishment. Also, a stern reminder: NO STEALING OTHER PEOPLE'S FACES unless you're really, REALLY sure it will help. Like, unimpeachable sources. (Sources are unanimous that my face is worthless crap.)