Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Best Call of Cthulhu Supplement Ever

I just started going through a complete ten-volume set of encyclopedias from 1922 that I scored on Ebay. This has to be, without exception, the single most valuable purchase of Mythos-related reference material I've ever made. In one handy package you get a complete atlas of the world of the 1920's, a guidebook to the latest scientific and technological developments, hundreds of pictures and engravings, and a downright amazing prop that looks awesome on your game room bookshelf.

How much did it cost? Less than the Call of Cthulhu RPG rules and a single supplement . Encyclopedia sets from the 20's and 30's regularly go for $30-$70 on Ebay, which is a pittance for the amount of carefully researched period information you're getting. Even better, letting players pull a volume off the shelf and look up relevant articles is incredibly immersive.

I was lucky enough to find "Winston's Cumulative Loose-Leaf Encyclopedia", a post-bound set that allowed subscribers to update entries just by swapping in new pages for the old. Once I find a decent match for the paper I'll be able to add entries specifically customized for the adventure at hand whenever I want. The possibilities that opens up are endless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

pics?

Propnomicon said...

@ Anonymous

I should have some up over the weekend. If the page swapping is easy I was going to bang out a quick tutorial.

Jarons20 said...

SO Jealous

Mark R Beatty said...

Bravo :-)! I did the same thing with a complete 1929 edition of Britannica that I scored at a local library sale for $20. I got it for a GURPS Cliffhangers campaign with strong Lovecraftian themes (mostly running from CoC supplements) and got many years of use out of it.

Scare Sarah said...

Awesome

The Frothy Friar said...

wow, that is quite the score! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures, just to see how accurate the CoC source book was

Doc Atomic said...

Clever idea! Sounds like a perfect prop... Or a perfect addition to anyone with any sort of vintage ephemera collection (just pick your decade). What a great way to provide context!